Thursday, March 15

Driving Journal Update

I recorded my initial thinking about a driving journal here. My basic conclusion was that, on average, over the time I've owned my car, I've driven an average of 267 miles per week.

Last night I found an oil change sticker in my car. It said that my next oil change was due on 9/15/06, or at 10,338 miles.

Which means that on 6/15/06, my mileage in the car was 7338.

Today is 3/15/07, 9 months later, and my odometer is at 15800. So I've actually driven 8492 miles in the last 9 months, or 907 miles per month and 213 miles per week (using 4.25 weeks/month). That's a pace that leads to 11000 miles per year. Not outstanding, but hey, better than the 15000 miles per year I thought I was driving.

Speaking of which, I did some poking around on the carbon footprint calculator at www.climatecrisis.org and my car emits .45 tons of carbon for every 1000 miles I drive.

No comments:

Unbox Videos

Welcome

NotSoBigLiving is the story of a woman inspired by Sarah Susanka, Bill McKibben, Airstreams, Tumbleweed houses, Mennonites, Jimmy Carter, hippies, survivalists, Anasazi, Pema Chodron and Joko Beck, Scott Peck, Buckminster Fuller, and Al Gore to see what she can do to reduce her carbon footprint in her mid-80's suburban townhome. Strategies include roommates, alternative travel, organic eating, planting a victory garden, mindfulness, and a belly full of laughter.