Friday, April 13

Batteries update + Doing the Math

The rechargeable batteries I put in my camera continue to hold up well. They've reached the performance I've been getting from my alkalines. So, I would say the first charge is satisfactory.

The rechargeable batteries I got are $11.83 at Amazon.com. That's $3 per battery.
The Kirkland batteries I'm replacing are for sale at eBay for $64.95. That's for 192 batteries, which is 33 cents a battery. And that's in the range of these.

So, on price, I need each of the 4 batteries I got to have a satisfying 8.73 charges. Or, if I don't want to work that hard at keeping track of which batteries I'm using today, keeping track of the next 18 uses (in pairs).

I think on environmental aspects, a 2 charge threshold makes sense.

Energizer says these batteries will take 500 charges. That works out to $0.006 or of a penny for each use. Oh heck. Let's round up to a penny apiece in case we lose a battery or two. Or even round up to $.10 each for all the things that happen to stuff.

That means that each of my rechargeables could be used 30 times and cost only $.10 apiece. And they could be used an order of magnitude more.

This reminds me of the exhortation to replace the 5 most frequently used incandescents in my home to fluorescents. What are the five things I change the batteries most in?

  • Camera
  • Toys
  • Wireless keyboard & mouse
  • Flashlight
  • Remotes
Hmm. A recharging station for my remotes would actually give us a place we all expect to store and find them....

No comments:

Unbox Videos

Welcome

NotSoBigLiving is the story of a woman inspired by Sarah Susanka, Bill McKibben, Airstreams, Tumbleweed houses, Mennonites, Jimmy Carter, hippies, survivalists, Anasazi, Pema Chodron and Joko Beck, Scott Peck, Buckminster Fuller, and Al Gore to see what she can do to reduce her carbon footprint in her mid-80's suburban townhome. Strategies include roommates, alternative travel, organic eating, planting a victory garden, mindfulness, and a belly full of laughter.