Monday, May 7

Links

I went to the new Vox Feminista show over the weekend. They did a series of skits inspired by The Omnivore's Dilemma this time out. It was by turns funny and painful, and the final skit wrapped up how I was feeling pretty well. A couple goes to their local ecologically sensitive grocery store and wanders around wondering what they can buy that is local, not part of the monoculture, and not wrapped in plastic ("An hour in the store and we have ... kale! You can't make a casserole out of just kale!").

I went home wondering how I can take the next step in my eating. A partial answer was investigating what's being produced in 100 miles of me... but I had only the vaguest idea of how to find that out. I thought about writing a Google Maps mash-up that cross-linked a growers directory to an interface that let you limit your search by miles from a given zipcode...

But then, on a completely different thread, I found Local Harvest, which is set up to do exactly that! Yay! (h/t to the Almost Sustainable Kitchen.)

A couple other things I found along the way...
Bill McKibbin's Relocalization network, about finding other local folks preparing for a carbon-less economy
So All May Eat (SAME) Cafe in Denver (Pay what you can restaurant)

And if you've been wondering what "Hot in Herre" might sound like with banjo and jaw harp, or what Jill Sobule's been up to, or just need a light moment in your day... Jill's cover of "Hot in Herre"

3 comments:

monkey said...

random thought but perhaps a local/kosher butcher/deli would be a good idea too.

i'm afraid my brain is on hold... so i'm having a hard time explaining why...
but to my fellow omnivores who arent really happy bout animal treatment, true kosher is the way to go...

(i'll go think on this a bit more and amend the statement later... perhaps even with linkage to find them :) ooooooooooo....)

Anne said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anne said...

The idea behind kosher butchering (shechita) as an alternative to the monoculture is the law requires personal contact with the animal being killed. I think in the same way that hunting does. I agree that a more conscious connection to the lives we're consuming can lessen the hold of the carbon-dependent monoculture (pesticide/fertilizer-grown-GMO-corn fed to feedlot-raised-cheap-diesel-truck-shipped-beef). I've never known a hunter who wasn't a gardener too. But I'm uncomfortable with answers that allow me to remain disconnected from the source of my food.

One of these days I suspect I'll get to a point where I'm hunting and fishing, or buying those cows eating grass on the farm I see every day, or I'm eating vegetarian, or my head will just explode from the cognitive dissonance. ;-)

Unbox Videos

Welcome

NotSoBigLiving is the story of a woman inspired by Sarah Susanka, Bill McKibben, Airstreams, Tumbleweed houses, Mennonites, Jimmy Carter, hippies, survivalists, Anasazi, Pema Chodron and Joko Beck, Scott Peck, Buckminster Fuller, and Al Gore to see what she can do to reduce her carbon footprint in her mid-80's suburban townhome. Strategies include roommates, alternative travel, organic eating, planting a victory garden, mindfulness, and a belly full of laughter.